Lorraine Liang's work in Falcon wins TU/e ST prize 2012

Lorraine Liang, developer of graphical editor in ESI’s Falcon project, wins TU/e Software Technology Prize  2012

Lorraine Liang developed a graphical specification tool for decentralized warehouse control systems. Her work was conducted in the Falcon project in close cooperation with Vanderlande Industries.

An external jury has unanimously selected Lorraine’s work as the winner of the annual TU/e Software Technology Prize 2012 (formerly known as the OOTI-prize). She wrote the best Software Technology Design Report in 2011 within the Department of Mathematics & Computer Science. Her report was highly praised because of the excellent scores on all relevant SAI (Stan Ackermans Institute) design criteria. This prize also means that Lorraine is nominated for the TU/e 2012 Annual Award for the best Design report.

Lorraine’s assignment in the Falcon project involved the development of a graphical editor on top of an existing warehouse reference architecture. With the editor, the warehouse designer should be able to specify a warehouse controller with as little knowledge of the implementation of the underlying reference architecture as possible.

Lorraine built a prototype editor that enables a warehouse designer to configure the system’s components and their connections and to specify the components’ behaviours. Using a realistic warehouse case as a carrier, she showed that her editor addressed the warehouse specification challenge very well. Analysis of the test results revealed that 97 percent of the carrier’s warehouse control code can be generated from her editor, leaving only 3 percent of application-specific code that has to be written manually.

Lorraine was supervised by ir. Bruno van Wijngaarden, system architect at Vanderlande Industries and
dr. Roelof Hamberg and dr. Jacques Verriet, both research fellows at ESI. 

About Falcon

The Falcon project was set up in 2006 to address the research challenges of performance and reliability in complex ‘systems-of-systems’ configurations, i.e., configurations that comprise a wide variety and number of individual systems, sub-systems and components. A distribution centre of Vanderlande Industries was taken as an industry-as-laboratory case.

Falcon addressed the design of control strategies in order to provide guaranteed performance, high reliability and predictability of system functions that are robust to a wide variety of usage scenarios. A second line of research focuses on improvement of the overall level of automation to reduce load on human operators. Special attention is paid to robotic object ‘pick and place’ for complex item configurations. This also allowed ESI to extend its research scope with mechatronics aspects.

Next to ESI as project leader and Vanderlande Industries as carrying industrial partner, researchers from Demcon Advanced MechatronicsDelft University of TechnologyEindhoven University of TechnologyUniversity of Twente and Utrecht University. In the project nine students did their PhD research.

Wouter Leibbrandt

Director Science and Operations
+31 88 866 55 60

“Continuous innovation in methodologies, system architecture thinking and cross-disciplinary ways of working to master the ever increasing complexity are crucial to maintain and extend Europe’s and Dutch competitiveness in this strategic domain.”